The late Donald Cameron, an ex Scottish
Internationalist and a member of Kirkintilloch Golf Club, formed the league
in 1947. He presented a trophy to be played for annually and invited the
following clubs to participate:
Balmore, Bishopbriggs, Cawder, Douglas Park, Hayston, Kirkintilloch, Lenzie
In 1947 Milngavie Golf Club presented a wooden spoon to the league, to
be presented to the club finishing with the least amount of points. Their
ambition to never win it has so far been successful. In fact they are
the only club never to have won it.
In 1958 the following clubs were admitted to the league:
Bearsden, Dullatur, Glasgow, and Hilton Park. In the sixties the leagues'
compliment of clubs was complete with the addition of Sandyhills and Windyhill.
In 1970 Cawder Golf Club, the then holders, mislaid the Donald Cameron
League Trophy and a new trophy was purchased, but, surprise, surprise,
the original trophy turned up in their trophy cabinet. This led to the
league being split, in 1970, into two divisions of 7 clubs. The A Division
playing for the Donald Cameron Trophy and the B Division playing for the
new trophy called The Campsie Trophy. The wooden spoon going to the club
bottom of the B Division.
The league has been administrated by the following secretaries:
1947 - 1955 Bob Miller Lenzie
1956 - 1972 Bill Jessiman Hayston
1973 - 2004 Andy Kellock Ralston
2005 - Brian Davidson Windyhill